Is my travel company safe?
1) Find out if your chosen travel company is protected by the following schemes?
What!! They're not protected?
2) So you have just found out that the company you have used for years is neither ATOL or ABTA protected, it's no great suprise. These days with many online companies operating outside of the UK they are not protected by UK law. Does that mean they are not legit? Does it mean that they are going to rob me blind? No, far from it! However it does mean that if a non UK registered company goes bust overnight you would not be protected by the above schemes, which opens the door to huge losses. We have the solution...
Seriously!! Are any protected?
3) Although there are many online travel sites that are not protected by UK protection schemes, many are! Lastminute, Expedia, Alpharooms to name but a few and through LowCostHolidaysHelp you can compare those protected sites & many more just like it, ensuring your DIY holiday is a protected low cost holiday. Yea but what happens if a previously protected site drops out of the scheme? Keep reading..
Can I cover my ass?
4) The ATOL and ABTA protection schemes for sure have their benefits but for years there has been much confusion & many loopholes surrounding them that most of us frankly cannot make head nor tail of what's covered and what's not. How about if I said to you that there is a way to protect yourself financially, even if a company later claimed that the product you bought was not covered after all? One neat trick will cover your ass & while we recommend you always consider the protection schemes, we insist that you follow this simple booking process! Almost there honestly! Thanks for sticking it out so far, but I guarantee what you read next will be worth it...
OK stop teasing me, what is it?
5) OK here goes! To give yourself extra piece of mind make sure you book with your credit card & in theory for purchases over £100 you should be covered by section 75 of the consumer act. For an extra golden locked in layer of protection contact your credit provider directly asking them the following question "Will you protect my purchase if <enter travel companies name here> goes bust?" Make sure to tell them the exact business name and most importantly be sure to get written confirmation! Do your research & enjoy your holiday!